Shade Gardening: Hosta & raindrops, 1 by Zanymuse

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Zanymuse

In reply to: Hosta & raindrops

Forum: Shade Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hosta & raindrops
Zanymuse wrote:
Here is a picture of my poor snail shredded hosta! When we moved I ran out of trays to catch the water so it wouldn't drip through the balcony onto the people below so I grabbed my old weed bucket, threw in a brick to raise the pot up and sat it in the bucket. There must have been a couple of snails in the bucket I didn't see because when I noticed the hosta was trying to grow for the season every single leaf was damaged before they were even unfurled. I lifted it from the bucket and found hundreds of baby snails, a large mommy snail looking exhausted and a huge snail that looked like he was grinning from antenna to antenna...one very satisfied male! I had to wash off all the soil and repot the poor thing to get rid of all the ones that were still in the dirt but the poor thing is so tattered I doubt it will look good at all this year! It is now snail free and surrounded by copper pennies on the ground around the base of the stand but the poor thing is pretty sad looking!

I had carefully cleaned and checked every other pot befor I put it out there figuring on the balcony at least I wouldn't have to worry about snails...HA!