Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Hollyhocks: "fungus" on leaves, in Central Illinois?, 1 by jipsi

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jipsi

Subject: Hollyhocks: "fungus" on leaves, in Central Illinois?

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hollyhocks:  "fungus" on leaves, in Central Illinois?
jipsi wrote:
Hi...
I have a beautiful stand of Old Fashioned Hollyhocks on my side yard, where they come up year after year. This is the FIRST year I've seen this curious, UGLY condition: bright yellow spot-blotches all over the leaves, and the undersides have parallel grey "fuzzy" (looked like spider egg sacs at first glance) ring-spots. On some, these are turning into HOLES. I'm not sure whether I have a pest eating through the leaves, a disease, or fungus, or what....?

We HAVE had a terribly rainy Spring in Central Illinois this year (2008); no flooding in my neighborhood, but we're close to areas where there has been a LOT. When the rains stopped and it got SUNNY and HOT, that's when these turned up (in the past couple weeks)... Any ideas??
It does not seem to be hurting the overall plant or flowers, but you can SEE this blight from the STREET, and it's plain ugly and embarassing.... ;-(

jipsi

This message was edited Jul 1, 2008 11:38 AM