Rocky Mountain Gardening: Compost Machines Arrived Wednesday, 1 by kmom246

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kmom246

Subject: Compost Machines Arrived Wednesday

Forum: Rocky Mountain Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Compost Machines Arrived Wednesday
kmom246 wrote:
It's been 20 years since I had chickens. And I've never raised them from babies before - but the little compost machines are doing a good job and I put my first bit of chicken litter into the garden this evening. It was mostly wet pine shavings from spilled water and not much chicken leavings, but still not good for chickies any more, so I put it about a foot away from some of my tomatoes. Even if the nutritional value isn't too high, the mulch, mulch, mulch factor should be good.

This is a picture of my little lame girl - one foot either got injured in shipping or is naturally deformed. She is holding her own, though, and gets about almost as good as the others with a combination of one foot hopping and flapping. Since she seems to be producing compostables as well as any other chick and since she seems determined to have her place in the flock, we figured we may as well keep her. I mean, a live chicken over the course of her life should produce way more compost than a culled chicky in the compost pile, right? And, if we get lucky, we'll even get some eggs from her.

I've stopped updating my website because it's too labor intensive, but I am now blogging, so if anyone is interested in more chicky pics, you can see my blog at http://highdesertgardening.blogspot.com/ You can also spy on my garden there.

Many blessings. Karla