Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 38, 1 by mellielong

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mellielong

In reply to: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 38

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 38
mellielong wrote:
To answer Meredith, this is the first time I've raised BSTs, but I've raised many other species. Most of the time, the caterpillars just chill on the plant. I have noticed that some species or even just certain "batches" of cats are more active at night. During the day they try to hide from predators. When the cats eat the plant, they release the "smell" of that plant, like when we crush leaves between our fingers. Even some plants that we can't smell can be detected by caterpillar predators. So just the act of eating can be dangerous for the cats. Also, they might be ready to molt as they will usually stay in the same place and not eat for about 24 hours.

As for Snuzer's Giant ST, they will eat anything in the citrus family, and this being Florida...well, you get the picture. Butterflies will visit your yard even if you don't have their host plant. If you have lots of yummy nectar plants, they'll come by and check that out, too.

Having host plants certainly helps increase the quantity and variety of butterflies you see. I believe this is Horace's Duskywing. I get a lot of these visiting my flowers. Their host plant is various oak trees, and I've got plenty of those! And like all butterflies in my yard, he's eating the porterweed (I did see him check out the salvia and pentas, too).