Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 110 - Turn off the Water!!, 1 by daylily_ohio

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright daylily_ohio

In reply to: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 110 - Turn off the Water!!

Forum: Ohio River Valley Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 110 - Turn off the Water!!
daylily_ohio wrote:
I have several Epimediums. Most are from Curt Hanson - he has collections of about everything. I am not sure what the cultivar names are. He told me to plant them in full shade. They have done well in the shade. For me they are almost evergreen - I lightly rake the old leaves off in spring, or trim off - before the flower stalks come up. They bloom pretty early in the year.

My neighbor Jenny is one of the main perennial people at Baker's acres. One day, as we were walking around in my yard, I was asking her what to put in an area of very dense dry shade. She told me to divide my epimediums - they will tolerate dry shade.

I would call them a ground cover. They spread, but have not been out of control. Maybe that's because I have shared many starts with people.

Here is a pic I took at Curt's April 8th. Epimedium is the yellow blooming plant on the left. They come in several colors, and some leaves have red veins and other patterns/colors.

I know I have some other photos of epimedium, but they are all on my photo disk, which is not hooked up right now.