Photo by Melody

Fruits and Nuts: Do you remember the song, "Yes, we have no bananas"?, 1 by flyboyFL

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright flyboyFL

Subject: Do you remember the song, "Yes, we have no bananas"?

Forum: Fruits and Nuts

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Do you remember the song, "Yes, we have no bananas"?
flyboyFL wrote:
Warning: Do not have dinner with strangers, who also garden.

So my DDW arranged a couples dinner with one of her bridge-buddies last night. We husbands meekly went along with the arrangement. He is a gardener. I know so because the two ladies exchange fruit, in season, at their weekly sessions.

Among other edibles, he grows bananas. My figs are right now the only things that are ripe in my garden. We arranged to swap figs for bananas today.

So I arrive with a few figs (it's the end of the breba season) and expected a clump of bananas. (They're good for you -- see Tiger Woods always chomping on one between shots on television.)

He showed me his banana "plantation." It started with one small plant and now threatens to overtake the back yard. WOW.

So I expected the bananas in exchange for my figs -- but, no way. He had his landscaper cut out one of the baby banana plants and had it bagged for me. He and his wife have probably consumed my figs -- but I am stuck with this baby.

Now ours is a relatively small lot, and fairly neatly landscaped -- with my comestibles tucked away around the perimeter and next to the south side of the house. What would I do?

So I did the only sensible thing -- and planted it in a large pot. (see below.) It now measures 36" to the top of the highest leaf. And now we are standing back -- and waiting -- and waiting. Sooner or later it have to go into the ground, but where? (Maybe one of my trees will die in the interim.) Who knows?

Any suggestions?

: )