Photo by Melody

Northeast Gardening: Welcome to my gardens... and messes ;), 1 by MissFabulous

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MissFabulous

In reply to: Welcome to my gardens... and messes ;)

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Welcome to my gardens... and messes ;)
MissFabulous wrote:
LOL you guys are funny. Yes, indeed... I would rather spend $$ on this than a cruise. I don't know that I'll ever be able to sit back and enjoy any of it because I'll be weeding and chipping constantly, but I sure like to expand!

I made more progress in the last few days. I planted some lilacs in front of the shabby looking dogbane. They're little suckers that are several years old. I had to take them down to bare root to get the Bishop's Weed and lily of the valley out, and I'm stunned at how well they transplanted. Not a bit of wilting. They look like they've always been there.

I pulled out some railroad ties that were slightly rotted that my father must have put in a burn pile that never got burned over 15 years ago. Probably a lot longer. Anyway, I was relieved to find that it wasn't that difficult to yank them out with the 25hp lawn tractor. There is a collapsed barn out back that has a stack of ties, too, but it's so overgrown and there are fallen trees around it, so it's not going to be easy to get them out. We'll so, though - I'm very determined when I want something!

Now when I dig the pond, I can add some of that dirt to build it up, and I'm going to try to get composted manure from the horse farmers in the area to amend and build up. I really like the look of the ties, even though I wanted to avoid having a lot of straight lines.