Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Funky swamp pots....suggestions?, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Funky swamp pots....suggestions?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Funky swamp pots....suggestions?
Gitagal wrote:
Here's what i do with last year's soils from all my pots. Don't exactly want to use the same soils in my new plantings--even though sometimes I just amend it really well and use it again. I am on my second container of "Dynamite" pellets....

Generally, I dump all the "used" soil from pots and containers in one of those big tubs with rope handles and I mix it into my garden beds, as needed, where I am planting new plants in the Spring. It loosens up the soil nicely as most dirt in beds can use some "fluffing up"....I tend to accumulate these "used" soils from pots that I use for cuttings, dug up plants, dead HB's, etc.

Sally--where, or how, do you get small bits of bark to mix into container soils? Do you think a bag of bark mulch can be smithereened in some way?
I know that one can buy small bags of bark bits in the Houseplant Dept, but that would run into money if one wanted to use it in all the soils for all the containers.

Yes--Fafard potting soil was always touted by Allan. Where did you find it?

Gita

Bougainvillea Arch in the Longwood Conservatory....