Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Japanese Maples: root rot, 1 by jhayes5032

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jhayes5032

Subject: root rot

Forum: Japanese Maples

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of root rot
jhayes5032 wrote:
Opinions needed. I needed to remove a large viridis from a full sun location b/c it was outgrowing its space. In spring 2006 I trenched around it, cutting through some pretty big roots. I waited till fall to transplant it and it is thriving in its new location.
I had a beni hime in another sunny spot where it was doing great (likes full sun per Vertrees). I moved it to the spot where the viridis had been in May 2007 and it promptly wilted and died. We were in the midst of a bad drought which continued all summer and I chalked it up to the stress of this and some disruption of the rootball during the move. I bought another beni hime and planted it in the same spot in October 07, the drought now over. It leafed out vigorously this spring but after awhile I noticed its tiny leaves were wilting and it died a slow death. I dug it up today and the bottom of the rootball was very moist to wet.
My local nursery guy says it is probably a fungal root rot. Do y'all agree? Is it possible that the decaying roots left behind by the viridis was the initial substrate for an infection? Would you dare plant another JM there and if so, would you just replace the soil first or is there a product you would also apply to the soil? Sorry to be long-winded. Here's a picture of the first beni hime in happier days.