Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MartinDK

In reply to: Fat plants awakening

Forum: Caudiciforms

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Fat plants awakening
MartinDK wrote:
Hi Mike,

Yes, I love my Pachypodiums dearly.;-) I bought the two P. brevicaule a couple of years ago from a german nursery - that is, in the online shop. However, I must say that I now consider them wild-collected plants (or at least I suspect it with their "weathered" appearances - it's merely my intuition at work here). And that is much to my regret.:-( To my knowledge this happens a lot on Madagascar at the hands of the local people (of course due to the rising demand from collectors). But who can blaim them when life is hard?

Now that the plants are here with me, I'm very careful not to over- and underwater them. So far I've managed to get them over the Winter with growth slowy beginning in April. I guess the trick is to water/sprinkle with water regulary and no "big spills". The smallest one flowered last year and now both plants are finally leafing out (they are indeed slow growers here up North under less than optimal conditions). However, I am still hoping for a flower or two.

Here's the largest one (5.5 inches wide) - repotted two days ago. In the process, I knocked off a few leaves.:-( I like the pot (from the Botanical Garden around here).

Best regards,

Martin