Photo by Melody

Perennials: What didn't come back this year and should have?, 1 by Meredith79

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Meredith79

In reply to: What didn't come back this year and should have?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What didn't come back this year  and should have?
Meredith79 wrote:
I have some stuff that has not shown signs of life yet.
Caryopteris divaricata 'Snow Fairy' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68422/
Liatris ligulistylis seedlings
Amsonia hybrid (I think blue ice?) & illustris seedlings
Joe Pye Weed
Maypop
Ipomopsis aggregata
some of my ornamental grasses.
Hosta
Other types of disappointments in my garden....
My Iris reticulata didn't bloom : (
Trout Lily (I tried one last year) - had one bud rot and the other appeared to be eaten overnight.
Lots of daffs performed poorly or didn't bloom.
Lots of darwin tulips didn't bloom there 2nd year for me.

I won't consider them goners until my hardy hibiscus start growing. After that c'est la vie. : )

Suzy, have your hardy hibiscus come up at all? I know you are about a month ahead of me weather wise, but I can't remember exactly when they come up. I think anything that is a zone pusher, will not show up until after you've pretty much written them off. IE my Passiflora incarnata, last year I thought for sure it wasn't coming back, and it did. It didn't do a whole lot, it only got about 6" maybe 12" tall and was only like, one piece. Much smaller than the year before, but I was so happy it came back at all! : ) I don't think it popped up until late June!
My Black and Blue that made it through a winter here, has not shown signs of life so far. I wasn't counting on this one any way, I am happy for the two babies it's seeds have given me though! I put apic of them, so far their stems look black like mommas. They are missing some leaves from a recent, pinching I gave them.
Let us know if anything shows up late!

P.S. I should have some agastache rupestris seeds in fall for you, the ones I started last year have returned! I know you tried apricot sprite, but the species are usually hardier so why not give it another go. : )

This message was edited May 5, 2008 6:35 PM