Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Rural Gardening: Hen Havens, Poopy Drawers, and other non-essentials, 1 by TamaraFaye

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright TamaraFaye

In reply to: Hen Havens, Poopy Drawers, and other non-essentials

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hen Havens, Poopy Drawers, and other non-essentials
TamaraFaye wrote:
it was finished before Easter, and i have kept it filled with chickens at various stages. each side has a whole in the cinderblock wall where they go inside to a hen haven! about the time the barred rocks learned to go in on their own, they were getting too big. so i got them moved to the old goat pen as soon as the goats were moved to the new pen, cleaned out the little pens he built here, i call them holding pens or breeding pens, and then moved out the next group of asst bantams from Welp hatchery.

so now we have 16 bantams on the right hand side. on the left are five bantam cochins, two standard polish, and Chuck.

today i saw the bantam Brahmas pecking at the polish's heads, so i tossed them out. they are for sale anyway :-)

here is the start of the new goat pen. we had these larger pieces of metal bedframes left over, and thought they would be good and sturdy and difficult for the goats to climb [notice the rails run vertical] this is the south side. the west side is the horse pasture fence, and the east and north are t posts with chain link. yep, he put the fence on the OUTSIDE of the t posts, so it won't last the way they rub against it all the time. they already have it grazed down, so time to move them IMHO>..