Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Cottage Garden in the making..., 1 by gemini_sage

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gemini_sage

In reply to: Cottage Garden in the making...

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Cottage Garden in the making...
gemini_sage wrote:
Thanks, Marcy! You got it right with the stripped sod, I sort of compost it right on site, and like you said, it becomes the richest soil. From trash to treasure! I'm lucky here to have good soil that in most places is nice 12-18" deep, but when I've gardened in places with just an inch or two of good top soil, I hated the thought of losing the best of the top soil attached to the grass roots. Guess this cold snap is what the old timers called "dogwood winter"- keeping my fingers crossed its not too wintery!

Susan, thanks so much! I admire your gardens so much, your kind words make me beam with pride :-) Those Violas have been my favorites; I'm going to try saving seed from them. No telling what the offspring will look like, but I've rarely met a pansy or viola I didn't like. Got some other seeds for various blue flowers started, and one is blue Convulvulus (bush morining glory). The pics show them as blue with a yellow throat ringed in white, so I'm hoping they'll be a good alternative to the violas in the heat of summer.

A happy find here, one of my Foxtail Lilies (Eremerus) is budding!