Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: What are we doing now it's Autumn ???, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: What are we doing now it's Autumn ???

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What are we doing now it's Autumn ???
weed_woman wrote:
Thanks for the offer Chrissy, but I think I will pass! LOL
We get down to about 5 degrees in winter! Thats cold enough for me, but our daytime temps are high teens. Like you Chrissy, I can get stuck in and warm up while working.
Hey Jean, didn't your hubby recently do a whole heap of tree felling? Is he doing more, or just clearing up the remains?
I passed the Benefields rose farm yesterday, and they have a half price sale on everything for the next week! Hubby offered to stop, and I said, "keep going" 'cause I'm saving myself for the bromeliads!
Annette, is that hibiscus like a Rosella?
I think I probly get more bugs than you chrissy, mostly because of the humidity! I noticed it right away, the first year we moved up. Autumn is the season for them, although they will start to disappear soon. We don't get ants inside either, as they are farming mealy bug, scale and aphids outside! I have companion planted with Nasturtians, Coriander, Achillea(?) garlic, chives and onions aswell as letting my veges go full circle. I notice alot of good ladybirds and also Assasin bugs and preying mantis, so Theres plenty of good guys around, they just can't keep up. The aphids have been alot less though. I figure if I get rid of the bug attracting plants, I may have a chance of reaching a balance in nature.
I'm not getting rid of my Angel though, as its a very reliable repeat bloomer, and I think its the slimeys that chew it.