Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: The Starters are Starting to GROW CRAZY!, 1 by jipsi

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jipsi

In reply to: The Starters are Starting to GROW CRAZY!

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The Starters are Starting to GROW CRAZY!
jipsi wrote:
Now, yesterday, April 11th, just a few days later, I took those rapidly growing starters (little "vine" shoots had started appearing!) and migrated them into plastic milk (gallon) jugs that I had cut to suit. I also removed a couple "runt" starters that were hopeless; several, however, were "maybes" that I placed into new peat pots of their own (they're doing just fine now)...
I went out back, scooped up several bowlfuls of the SAME dirt and gravel mixture these babies' parents loved so much last year, and ADDED it to equal parts of Miracle Grow potting mix. I wet it down real good, packed it into the plastic jug "planters", and then tenderly moved the bushel starts, peat pots and all, into their new home. I "tore down" three or four sides of the (very soft, by now) peat pots as I did so, to help facilitate unimpeded root growth.

Watered everyone, then put them all back under the growlights/reflectors. A few of them were wilting, several leaves and stems seemed droopy, but I crossed my fingers the guys would pull through.

TONIGHT I was astonished to see just HOW WELL everyone pulled through... there's about one to two inches of NEW GROWTH on the gravel-dirt/milk jug starts! Several have already "hit the ceiling" of their area, with healthy tendrils going in all directions, and tonight I HAD to add STAKES to everything just to help keep things from overcrowding and getting tangled up, for the time being...
Not shown are two other, upper shelves with their own light: some miniatures that are healthy but smaller and easier to manage, and some Cannonballs I just planted in peat pots several days ago...

EEEEK! How will I ever keep these crazy things from taking over my window/shelf, at this rate??? (happy sigh).... I SO BADLY need that GREENHOUSE... next year...

How is everyone else's "indoor" progress? Know most folk here are south and west, so are probably already outdoors...