Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Early spring nectar plants/trees for Hummingbirds?, 1 by tabasco

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tabasco

In reply to: Early spring nectar plants/trees for Hummingbirds?

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Early spring nectar plants/trees for Hummingbirds?
tabasco wrote:

2pugdogs, like your feeder. I don't think it's too early for you, is it? And I'm curious about your hibiscus. Are they tropical hibiscus? I suppose so...I have 2 perennial hibiscus ('Plum Crazies' by Fleming Brothers) but the HBs don't seem interested in them. Maybe no nectar.

Thought I'd post a photo of my Early Hummingbird Lure & Feeder. Put this up last week and still no takers, though. I went back to Lowes today and saw that they have put out some red salvias (very short) so I think I'll add them to my 'display' for more red. They also have big hanging pots of purple verbena which I may nab when I go back. We have four feeders up but not much blooming except daffodils.

But the lilacs have some buds, so I don't think it will be too long before the HBs are here in full force. Last year we spied first HBs on April 9 and 10 so we are keeping a sharp eye out.

I saw 3 butterflies today. They were white, but I didn't think they were cabbage butterflies. I'll have to look them up.