Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Vines and Climbers: Beaumontia Grandiflora, 1 by rjuddharrison

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright rjuddharrison

In reply to: Beaumontia Grandiflora

Forum: Vines and Climbers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Beaumontia Grandiflora
rjuddharrison wrote:
Yes Patty...it is on the trellis I built for it over the window...
The bougainvillea is do for a trim..we had some very gusty winds that have it a bit out of place...and I've hooked it back up to the corner of the house, but not to my satisfaction..and I have to wear sweatshirts and gloves for that job.

I bought the Beaumontia at Tops tropicals...and paid Tops price for it too, but with the intent that it did what it did, prospered...the older the vine gets, thicker it is ...the bigger...the better it performs, the more tolerant it becomes of weather and pests. Interestingly it has never defoliated, not even during last springs super freeze that nailed about everything else. I'll post the quote from the botanist..and perhaps this will help you decide whether you should grow it or not...it did persuade me.

"B. grandiflora is from northern India- it does not blooom in heat,it likes to bloom where it gets chilly and it blooms but once in the year, straight after the onset of cold! " MD Ferrero:

I think planting it close to the house, in a dry zone was a winning combination for this plant. It gets huge...
This picture is one end of the vine - there are about 20 other places it's wanting to do the same, but this is the longest and biggest section of it. It's almost spooky, because I'll go pull a weed, look up ..and the darn thing has turned the other way like a snake!