Wildlife: Heidi Chronicles: Nursery Rhymes, 1 by DreamOfSpring

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DreamOfSpring

In reply to: Heidi Chronicles: Nursery Rhymes

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heidi Chronicles: Nursery Rhymes
DreamOfSpring wrote:
close up. note how it has 3 open, puncture-type, wounds within the area where the hair has been removed. Any idea what might have caused this? Does it look like the work of another raccoon? Up until now I've assumed all of the cuts and scrapes have been from fighting with each other, but this one makes me wonder. Does it look like a predator type wound? I think the only predators around here would be alligators or maybe domestic dogs. There are also some wild boar in the forest back there. They came out once before and tore up my neighbors yard. Don't know if hogs attack/eat raccoons. Then there are the opossums who have been known to bite the raccoons a time or two, but I don't think they could do that kind of damage. Could they?

Or does this look like maybe they are getting caught in something? traps? wire? Can't imagine where around here they would find wire, esp barbed wire, but who knows. I can't help but notice the similarity between the location and look (except for the punctures) between Troubles wound and this one. Similar placement could mean they are getting hung up on something. But, if so, what?

Or, maybe a disease, parasite, or pathogen or some kind?

Other than HRH's mouth, none of the other wounds have bothered me that much. Even from the start Trouble's wound though large didn't look so painful - oddly enough. But this one makes me cringe. I've never been that fond of Juliet (assuming that is who this is), but every time I look at this wound my heart goes out to her. This one really does look painful to me. Poor thing.