Michigan Gardening: R U Ready for Spring?, 1 by Loon

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Loon

In reply to: R U Ready for Spring?

Forum: Michigan Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of R U Ready for Spring?
Loon wrote:
The ground was white this morning but the sun came out and melted the smattering of snow we got last night. As long as the sun is shining I'm OK. My hired help didn't show up today to finish picking up the apple tree trimmings. I knew I shouldn't have paid that guy yet. ha ha ha You'd think I'd learn wouldn't you. Hubby got out there and spent three hours picking it all up so it was good exercise for him. He was too pooped to spray the trees though so we'll do that maybe tomorrow depending on the weather. I don't think there is a chance they'll be budding out in this cold. It got down to 8 degrees here last night!! Now, that's cold I think for this time of year but maybe I'm wrong.

On Easter when we were outside I saw a flock of robins. There must have been ten or twelve of them out in the fields hunting themselves some worms. It was a welcome sight. My two packages of phlox arrived today. I wasn't sure what to do with them since the ground is still frozen. No way can I fit all of those in my refrigerator. I wound up opening up the bags and leaving them in there and setting the opened bags inside a cardboard box and set it on top of the freezer in the basement where it's dark. It stays pretty cold down there so I think they'll be OK don't you? If you don't think so tell me what I should do with them. I really don't want to pot them up but if I must I will. I have some coffee cups I can use for pots and I have trays to put them in. I'd rather they just stay asleep though for three or four more weeks.

What did everyone else do with their phlox?

Here is a good pic of the baby with the Easter bunny.