Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: New here, but not new to growing plants....., 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: New here, but not new to growing plants.....

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of New here, but not new to growing plants.....
weed_woman wrote:
Hi Jen, I saw something about that on Gardening Australia or the like, where the bloke was growing hydroponic vegetables and the overflowing water (with nutrients) goes into tanks that have water plants, (some edible) and fish. The water plants use up the excess nutrients and the fish keep the water agitated and then it goes back through the hydroponic system, with the added benefit of fish poo as a new ingredient. Smart! The yeilds were fantastic. In fact, I think the grower was from your part of the world!
I've taken over the succulents at tafe, as I took some home over the xmas holidays as they were underwatered and overcooked. I nursed them back to health with nothing more than regular watering and took them back at the beginning of this term. Guess what happened. They put them under the nursery irrigation and almost rotted the lot! So now I've asked for permission and a space to set them up and propagate more for the end of the year sale. As you say jen, its not hard, just give them the usual plant requirements and they'll flourish.
Happy day all.
Sue