Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: Botany Quiz: Which type of soil will allow water to drain away fastest?, 1 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: Botany Quiz: Which type of soil will allow water to drain away fastest?

Forum: Voting Booth

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Botany Quiz: Which type of soil will allow water to drain away fastest?
wrote:
My soil is red clay and my beds are all built up or no dig (lasagne) .having had both types to deal with in the past ...sand and clay I think they both have their plus and minus points, as someone said mulch fixes everything ...my built up beds are mostly washed river sand and some aged milled cow poo ...I top that with sugar cane or lucerne hay mulch ...after a couple of years the earth worms have taken the sand and goodies down into the clay and the earth becomes black and easy to work with.On the odd occasion when I really had to plant a shrub or fruit tree straight into the ground I spend a great deal of time making sure the clay is mixed very well with compost and soil improver ...in drought the clay will save the day, in flood if you have planted into the raised beds of sand mix things won't drown ...we have just had the wettest Summer ever and everything is ok.