Photo by Melody
Announcements
The Pixel County Fair is now open for entries! Upload your crafts, animals and gardens HERE!

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Care questions after growing from seed, 1 by tervherd

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tervherd

Subject: Care questions after growing from seed

Forum: Amaryllis and Hippeastrums

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Care questions after growing from seed
tervherd wrote:
Hi, everyone! I'm not new to DG but new to this forum. A few years ago, on a whim, I decided to try to fertilize and grow my own amaryllis from seed. To be perfectly honest, I am a poor record keeper and have a terrible memory. I may have crossed it with something else or tried to self it OR who knows! Bottom line is I wound up with several 4" pots with anywhere from 5-8 bulbs in them. The "pots" I used were plastic containers that chicken livers come in. This past year they started blooming. The pict attached is one of those grown from seed. The real color is more pink. Anyway, I removed the pot from this one and just put it into a 6 inch pot. There are 5 or 6 bulbs, the one in bloom and another bulb with a new bud.

First question......I would assume that ideally after blooming I should remove all the bulbs, clean them off, then store them till next fall, but why? Eventually all the bulbs will attain blooming size and I might have quite a show. Is there some logical/horticultural reason to let the bulbs rest?

Second question......For those of you who have grown bulbs from seed, what is SUPPOSED to be the process? I have more seed I'd like to sow but don't recall how I did it before. I am NOT intending on marketing these. I realize most cultivars are patented, but my goal is to create new cultivars only for my own fun and pleasure.

I'm sure I'll think of other questions but for now, if y'all can help me with these I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Sharon