Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: How to succeed with MG seeds, especially Japanese Variety, 1 by Seedsower

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Seedsower

In reply to: How to succeed with MG seeds, especially Japanese Variety

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How to succeed with MG seeds, especially Japanese Variety
Seedsower wrote:
Hi Sandra! I saw this thread and just thought I'd mention how I've done it for the last few years. Its just an option, but I have found it works very well for me. (I have grown the Blue Silk, Rose Silk, Tye Dye, Sunrise Japanese Mix, and Mt. Fuji this way).

I nick the seed coat using a large fingernail clippers. I soak the seeds in warm water for about two hours, or to the point you can see them begin to swell. I then sow them in soil-less seed starting mix, covering them with about 1/2 inch of mix. The important thing is to not have the soil-less mix too wet, or the seeds will rot and turn to mush before they germinate. I cover the containers with plastic wrap and put them on a heat mat under fluorescent lights. I check the containers of sown seeds at least twice a day to make sure they're not drying out. I usually get germination within 3 to 5 days.

The funny thing is, I have found out that the mg seeds started indoors do not begin to bloom any sooner than seeds I sow directly outside. In my zone my Japanese MG's do not really start taking off until it is good and hot. I've put transplants outside in early June and they just sit there until at least July, when it finally remains consistently warm here.

I have lost MG vines that I started too early indoors and thats why I don't start many seeds indoors. If you do plant them directly outside, you will have to remember to keep them moist until they germinate (I nick the ones I sow outdoors too).

This is just the way I start mine, I know not everyone has a seed starting setup in their basement. I wish everyone luck with growing all the wonderful seeds you brought back for them! Here's a pic of one of my Mt Fuji from a prior year. Just too cool!

Sandy