Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: too hot in the greenhouse, 1 by oldmudhouse

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright oldmudhouse

In reply to: too hot in the greenhouse

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of too hot in the greenhouse
oldmudhouse wrote:
I did something kind of odd on the south wall, because of the way my greenhouse is made. My GH poly panels are easily removed, so I took out some panels and replaced them with screens I made from the Aluminet shadecloth. I bought the do-it-yourself window screen supplies from Home Depot, made the frames, and stretched the Aluminet in them. That gives me open air on most of my south side, and the benefit of some shade at the same time. It does allow rain in on that side, but our summers are so hot and dry it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Right now, in the winter, I have my poly panels back in place (cold nights!) but I still have the Aluminet screens in place on top of the poly panels to give me the shade I need on that hot south side.

If I hadn't been able to make the shadecloth screens, I would definitely still have needed to apply shadecloth to my south wall some way, inside or out. I think lots of folks apply the shadecloth over the roof and down the south wall, all the way to the ground, or close.