Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Very early Signs of Spring, 1 by pennefeather

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pennefeather

In reply to: Very early Signs of Spring

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Very early Signs of Spring
pennefeather wrote:
The main problem with winter time is that it forces you to reevaluate your garden. This is the one time of year that I can actually see the outline of my beds, since the flowers always spill over the edges. After taking a walk around the garden today, I have come to one conclusion : I NEED TO EXPAND MY BEDS!

Last year, I doubled the width of the narrow flower paths that surround the walkway, as well as doubled the size of the island. IT STILL ISN'T ENOUGH! There are so many new flowers that I want to introduce to my garden, and others that I want to expand. I'm not sure if I am going to try to do the lasagna method since I find when I plant in those areas right away, the grass immediately around the new plants still thrives. I wonder if it is too late to just outline a new bed now, and plant in April.

The winter has been so mild, but February is always when it seems to get colder. I have even more buds on my roses, and of course it is way too early. I have bunch of flowers that I want to transplant because they are not in good spots or they need to be divided.

I have some of my seeds, but I am still waiting for a good amount to arrive in the mail. I think that I am going into gardening withdrawal. I miss the butterflies, hummingbirds, and yellow finches.