Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Mine are starting in earnest., 1 by bbrookrd

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bbrookrd

In reply to: Mine are starting in earnest.

Forum: Amaryllis and Hippeastrums

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Mine are starting in earnest.
bbrookrd wrote:
The time period depends if you have bought them ready to be forced. Here in the colder part of the US most are sold in the fall for winter blooming (Nov - March), but in the south they can get planted outside in the ground and left to bloom.

Here is what I do. Mine are planted in a pot ( they like a to be crowded) after blooming I cut off the spent stalk. The bulb needs to be left to leaf out and to be watered/fert for about 6 months. Then in the fall I cut back the yellowing leaves, some may wither on their own, and stop watering the bulb. I put it in a cool low light space to force it into dormancy, so it can rest up for the big show. When I see new green starting, 12 weeks or longer. I bring it back out into a sunny spot and begin watering and when the flower opens, I give it more water. Enjoy. Then the cycle begins again. I have one that is more than 20 years old.

Your pot should be tight with only a small amount of space between the side of the pot and the bulb. Some of mine have been 3 feet tall, but others much smaller. This group may give you an idea about the pots and the various sizes they are. Best to you. Patti

I just found a good article for growing them in pots and in the garden.
This is much better information than I can give you.

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/horticulture/amaryllis.htm...

Others on this forum are far more knowledgeable than me. Read and trust any of these posters Boojum, Radio, Gordo, Todd Boland. and many others. There is a real interesting women who posts sometimes from AU who is raising the ones her father had. She knows tons. Patti

This message was edited Jan 31, 2008 10:29 PM