Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Bird Watching: Need Help With Purple Finch, 1 by dellrose

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dellrose

Subject: Need Help With Purple Finch

Forum: Bird Watching

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Need Help With Purple Finch
dellrose wrote:
This little guy has been hopping around and on my front porch for the past 2 days. He has been puffed up this whole time and flies just high enough to get away from me. It has been warm for the past 2 days so the puffed up look concerns me. I don't know if he is sick, or stunned from an accident or something else. DH said he wouldn't make it through the night as the temps have fallen from 70 degrees earlier today to a low of 13 degrees tonight. The winds are very bad too and possible snow.

Anyway...I couldn't stand the thought of the cold or a cat killing him so now I have him in a bird cage with some water, suet and sunflower chips. He has been eating all along and I also just put a twig from a cedar tree in the cage. The cage is coverer up in the garage about 5 feet up. It will get cold in there tonight and I'm not sure what else I should do. I keep a small heater going for the 2 big dogs that sleep there but they are used to it.

Can anyone give me some advise...who to call...bring him indoors and put in a "cold" room...any help appreciated.

Here are 3 pics I took earlier today.

Thanks,
Rose