Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Unwelcome visitor., 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

Subject: Unwelcome visitor.

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Unwelcome visitor.
77sunset wrote:
Just had to come on and tell you of our funny night last night with an unwelcome visitor. No, it wasn't a neighbour or relative, although some of those can be unwelcome at times.
I was soundly sleeping when Hubby came in and woke me.
He said he needed my help as there was a snake in the laundry. Picture me( as I don't wear anything to bed and I had been asleep) getting up to take on a snake. ( I did stop to put on a brunchcoat)
Hubby sits up late on his radio talking to other hams around the world , then usually has a wander around outside before he comes to bed. As he stepped onto the step of the laundry to turn on the outside light, the snake hissed and tried to strike. He was extremely lucky it did not get his leg. The hiss warned hubby and he was able to jump back.
Our laundry is part of the house and has 1 step up, also the toilet is right there too. The back door is just past them. The snake was a tiger snake and about 4' long. Quite a large one for this area. He was nice and fat too. Probably lots of mice from the neighbours hay shed. He must have got lost and really could have been in there for days. There is the washing machine and freezer to hide under.
Hubby could not go to sleep knowing it was there and he was afraid it may come in the house where it could go anywhere and maybe bite me.. He had to catch it .
He had his snake pole and a shovel , so carefully standing on our little stepladder, he managed to get the things off the top of the freezer so he could move it.( It is only a small freezer) Moving the freezer around , we also managed to get the washing machine out giving him room to move.
I was standing guard with the torch in case the snake came out the door. What was I going to do if he did come out ? Throw the torch at him?
Eventually after about an hour of hubby making a lot of noise ( while still up on the stepladder ), the snake came out very fast and hubby hit him with the shovel. Poor thing (the snake I mean ) He had to die, as he was heading for the inside and we can't afford to have any of the little darlings wandering around inside the house.
We do see snakes here from time to time but usually outside and mostly copperheads which are a lot more docile.
This one was a beauty with all the tiger stripes. I always feel sorry when one has to killed but there are times when it is necessary.
Hubby threw him outside and by this morning the evidence had been taken away by some creature who needed a meal.
That was the excitement for the night .
Looking back this morning , one can have a laugh at the antics in the middle of the night.
It is misty again this morning so will be another fine day.
Have a great day everyone.
I found a pic from Vic museum so our overseas friends can see what the tiger snake looks like, although they are not all the same color and vary from area to area. This was what our one was like.
Have a great day all. Jean.