Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Bird Watching: Bohemian Waxwings Volume 2, 1 by Grasmussen

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Grasmussen

In reply to: Bohemian Waxwings Volume 2

Forum: Bird Watching

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bohemian Waxwings  Volume 2
Grasmussen wrote:
Quoting:Interesting that the rowan berries are all still nice and plump and red,

The berries have been frozen for a long time, so there is no spoilage. The birds have some difficulty crushing and eating the forzen berries. The season is short enough that apples don't fall off the trees in the fall. However, they do rot and/or ferment. Decorative Crap Apples trees are commonly used in landscaping. The apples are all brown and shriveled. Some have a high alcohol content. There was a drunk moose in the down town business district last month. It had been observed eating rotten apples. Many species of birds are eating apples also.

This is a new picture I took today. I only went out for a few minutes during a break in the clouds. A block before I reached the location, I took three shots of a Merlin. She must have been watching this flock from her parch before I interrupted. She was back light and too distant for any quality pictures.

Gary