Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Um...hi...I'm new here..., 1 by outtamygourd

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright outtamygourd

Subject: Um...hi...I'm new here...

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Um...hi...I'm new here...
outtamygourd wrote:
Not only new to this forum but also new to outdoor gardening. I have always had houseplants (which have absolutely gone MAD up here ~ see my Christmas cactus) but now have a place for outdoor gardens. I was reading some of the posts and I see how so many of you LOVE virtual gardening. We've only been in our new place less than one year and did absolutely NO landscaping last year, thus this year begins the creation of the garden of my dreams. Perhaps you could all share some ideas? We're new to the PNW from Southern Cal via Arizona, so this is an entirely new venture for me with regard to outdoor gardening. We have about 1/2 acre we will actually landscape to begin with, mostly a gentle downward slope. Most of garden is in full sun year-round (well, considering where we are, "full sun" really isn't quite accurate, but you all know that). I have NO idea what to plant. My idea is a wandering pathway through different types of small gardens. I LOVE fragrant flowers, I LOVE colorful...but I haven't a clue where to start. I did plant one planter last summer with 3 Endless Summer hydrangeas, a rhody, 2 bleeding hearts, 3 peacock orchids, a ligularia and ground cover of laurentia. I have no idea what it will look like this summer but hopefully will be nice. So...help? Anyone? Thanks!

~ Sheri ~