Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dwallace59

In reply to: Missouri papayas

Forum: Tropical Fruits

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Missouri papayas
dwallace59 wrote:
Stressbaby,

Congratulations on your plants. I got mine as small 3 “ plants and all of them have produced fruit. I do not know if they were grown from seed or culture.

I have grown many of these plants from seed but have only sold them and not grown them. I have all the original plants from 3 years ago except one. I had in an earthbox that I want to use to plant blueberries in so chop chop... I have three in the ground and you can see a current picture of them. The tallest is about 7 feet now.

I stared growing Red Lady papayas now which are supposed to resistant to the ring spot virus. These too are a small trees that are very productive. I have grown many and sold them but I have to get rid of my large papayas so I can have room to plant my own. I cut down my Hawaiian solo which was at least 18 feet tall and I had to take life in my hands using an extension ladder to pick the fruit and dead leaves off.

I have an area that I have removed all the tall papayas from except one productive one. This tree is still 12 feet tall and requires a ladder to pick fruit and dead leaves off. In the spring I will cut it down and dig out all the rots from it and the other trees that were planted in that area. I then can plant the new Red Lady papayas there.

Good luck with your tree and I hope the fruit as sweet as mine have been.

Dale