Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Amaryllis Help - Naturalizing outdoors I Hope!, 1 by dwr857

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dwr857

Subject: Amaryllis Help - Naturalizing outdoors I Hope!

Forum: Amaryllis and Hippeastrums

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Amaryllis Help - Naturalizing outdoors I Hope!
dwr857 wrote:
Back in early October I purchased these Red Peacock Amaryllis and planted them outside in a raised planter. I amended the soil with compost and bulb fertilizer at the recommended rate. I know these bulbs were prepared for the holidays and indoor blooming as you can see I am getting stalks and Its probably way too cold at this time for flowering with nighttime temps in the high 30's and low 40's. The flower heads seem to be drying up which may be due to the season and outdoor planting. Should I be worried or are the bulbs trying to naturalize. They are growing slowly just concerned! I am watering every other day as the soil seems to be drying up fairly quickly even with the current temps. Has anyone had any success with growing amaryllis outdoors. The Amaryllis pictures - the stalks are 1 foot long and smaller. Advice please

This message was edited Dec 18, 2007 11:42 AM