Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Where are you in AU ., 1 by weedsandall

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weedsandall

In reply to: Where are you in AU .

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Where are you in AU .
weedsandall wrote:
Hello everyone, I have found this all so interesting, I feel as though I know 77sunset and Chrissy, through their gardens etc,.
I live in Cockatoo, edge of the Dandenong Ranges, and have a 1/2 acre of garden. I had to clear some trees, to get some sort of light in to plant anything much. I have a natural fernery, but it has suffered badly in the drought. Have now installed tanks, so should manage to get it back the way it was - hopefully.
I lost a few treeferns, its really strange, I have some at the back of the house, facing west, in full sun, they get all the hot afternoon sun, and they are growing like weeds, yet the ones in lovely deep soil, lots more water, have struggled. maybe I should be more ruthless and threaten them instead of cosseting them. It works with the car when it plays up LOL
I have just spent the afternoon sitting here at the PC as we have received 30ml of rain in about 30 minutes.!!!! Its wonderful!!!!! tanks are overflowing, and the roses have taken a battering, but some deadheading will soon bring them back with new flowers.
I have included a picture of my favourite rose, "Albertine", growing over my dear little garden shed my DH Joe built for me.
He couldn't understand why I didn't want it painted, and cleaned up, he doesn't understand "old" and "rustic". Anyway, this is one year after the rose was ripped apart by a falling tree. My garden has been flattened (and on two occasions, part of the house) by nine trees over the years, that have fallen from our neighbor's place.
Amazingly the shed was spared...........
As you can see I have a tendency to ramble on a bit, just like parts of my garden.......