Irises: fall cut back on iris?, 1 by zacattack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright zacattack

In reply to: fall cut back on iris?

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of fall cut back on iris?
zacattack wrote:
Hi Georgiacat... Cutting back leaves of iris is not normally recommended, as the leaves do provide food for the rhizome, same with tubers and bulbs of other flowers. However, iris leaves that have become floppy or have brown tips can become very unsightly and detract from the beauty of your garden. I spoke to one man who said he loved iris blooms, but would not have them in his garden because the leaves were so ugly the rest of the year. Point well made in some cases. I routinely (year round) remove browning tips, and cut back leaves that have become so floppy they are unattractive. I don't completely remove the floppy leaves, I ,just cut them back enough so that they stand erect. I just prefer the "clean" appearance. It's simply a matter of personal taste. I have never experienced reduced bloom from cautiously keeping my iris leaves looking well groomed. As the spring growth spurt arrives you will be rewarded with not only beautiful blooms, but nice looking leaves as well. The leaves on the iris in the attached photo are always well groomed, and the rapidly growing healthy new leaves always provide a nice display. Good Luck with your iris, Dan