Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: Winter GH moisture and other concerns, 1 by keywest5

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright keywest5

Subject: Winter GH moisture and other concerns

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Winter GH moisture and other concerns
keywest5 wrote:
Hi everyone,

It's 1:18 am,.......... it's 29 degrees outside and 58 degrees in the GH.
My humidity level is @ 74%.
I have a small water fountain in the GH.
My wife and I are wondering if it will contribute too much humidity to an already humid environment ?

What is avg. hum @ around 55-60 degrees in a winter GH ? What should I shoot for?
We have some beautiful plants and tropicals that I want to baby till nice weather returns. (not fast enough)...

We have our GH in Mass. about 20 miles from Plymouth ( you know the "Mayflower") and we are in zone 6A/B ? (USDA).
I have insulated heavily for the coming onslaught and feel ok with that. Without it - I don't think we could afford to even attempt a winter spree like this.

Thanks to all you guys we have gotten us this far and it has been an interesting ride all the way.

I have an exhaust fan mounted in the ceiling directly under a roof vent.
It is sealed (insulated) off but I manually open the Dr. Denton like flap to vent out heat & humidity as needed for now.
I will probably close it off completely when it gets down in the low 30's regularly and throw the Solar Blanket roof cover on and just vent thru a door when needed.

I was able to get water to the GH but could not get deep enough to prevent freezing.
so, our winter water supply will be a very pretty 50 gal barrel which I will probably attach some kind of low volume pump to possibly. I will have to make 5 gal trips from the house (not too far), to refill. Brrrrrrrr

Any winter tips or suggestions for a happy winter survival ?

KW