Photo by Melody

European Gardening: Birds in the garden Part 2., 1 by rannveig

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright rannveig

In reply to: Birds in the garden Part 2.

Forum: European Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Birds in the garden Part 2.
rannveig wrote:
Pretty photo of the wood pigeons Wallaby :-)

It's been so warm this fall that I still haven't had to put out feed for the birds, and it's Nov. 16th !! We had some snow for two days in late October, but there were still so many berries on the trees then the birds had pleanty to eat. That might change tomorrow thought - we're looking at a very cold and windy weekend, possibly with freezing day time temps.

There have been quite a few black birds around lately. There are a few immature ones so "my" nesting pair managed to raise at least one brood this year. We found a nest that I think was theirs in late August with abandoned eggs in it. It was in a Cottonwood that we were going to cut 1/2 way down - we didn't see it until DH had removed some of the branches around it. We'd cut the top off about two years ago so there was a level stump for them to place the nest on. It was surrounded by new growth all the way around so there was no way to see it. Really good nesting spot. I was so sorry I ruined it for them. I hope they'll nest there again when it's grown back .......

Here's a photo of the nest - is there anyway to tell if it's black bird or redwing eggs?