Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: Zany zinnia hybrids - Part 2, 1 by Lala_Jane

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Lala_Jane

In reply to: Zany zinnia hybrids - Part 2

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Zany zinnia hybrids - Part 2
Lala_Jane wrote:
Wow! I popped on to the annual board to ask a basic zinnia question and what did I find but this fabulous thread(s) devoted entirely to the flower. I can't wait to go back and re-read it all and look at all the gorgeous pictures! But before I do I'll ask my question as this is most certainly the place to get it answered.

I don't know much about pollination which I suspect is the answer to my query. I bought some 'Profusion Deep Apricot' this spring, and to be quite honest was not too thrilled with the color. However; as I was pulling up the plants the other day I noticed something interesting and was wondering if this is a common occurrence. The later blooms are a totally different color as you can see by the picture. They look much more like the Profusion Orange (which by the way Suzy came true from saved seed this spring as was very viable) then the plant's original Apricot.

Now here's your clue. I did have the Orange planted about 5' from the Apricot. Do I have cross-pollinated blooms mixed with the true blooms on the same plant? And of so, any guesses what color next year's blooms would be?

Thanks All,
La