Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Vines and Climbers: Aristolochia triangularis, 1 by ErickMN

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ErickMN

In reply to: Aristolochia triangularis

Forum: Vines and Climbers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Aristolochia triangularis
ErickMN wrote:
Gourd,

The last flower I last posted is Aristolochia macroura. I find it to very easy to grow, and the flowers are large and striking. I tend to pick up my Aristolochia plants and seeds from a wide variety of places, e.g. eBay, trades with other growers, nurseries, etc. Sometimes while researching them on-line I just stumble across a new seed source. Once you get a little collection, you are in a better position to trade with others and build your collection.

If you have a seed pod, it will become very noticable soon. It's actually rather unusual for me to get seed pods on my plants, with the exception of A. fimbriata and A. elegans. As for leaving them outdoors, it's hard to say without knowing your low temps. I left most of my collection outdoors even when it got down to the mid-40's and it didn't bother them one bit. But a hard freeze would be fatal for sure, so I don't push it too far.

I've found most Aristolochias to be rather easy to root from cuttings. Just make sure to cover them with plastic to keep the humidity high (but let in fresh air every day) and don't let them dry out. Good luck! And A. grandilfora is a FABULOUS species, well worth picking up. I do find it a challenge to get throught the winter indoors, however.

I am not an expert by any means, but I believe A. elegans and A. littoralis to be the same plant. A. gigantea is definitely a totally separate species.

Make sure to post pictures!

Erick

This message was edited Oct 23, 2007 7:53 PM