Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Bringing plants back in for winter- chore, fun? tips?, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Bringing plants back in for winter- chore, fun? tips?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bringing plants back in for winter- chore, fun?  tips?
Gitagal wrote:
Wyldeflwr,

Some things just are no longer around--like those poles. I have had those forever! The only place I can think of that "might" have them is the "Lillian Carter" junk-stuff catalogue. Seems everything in there is cheap and passe. Maybe you could look it up on line.
You know what else is the same vintage and no longer found? Those little shelves you hook to the top of your window sash for small pots of something. YES! I have 2 of those also. See--I never throw anything out. This kind of stuff justifies my pack rat habit.

As for the Angel Wing Begonias--I have had them for longer than I can remember. The same plant--endlessly propagated.
I keep mine in the house for the winter near a window. It will drop most of it's leaves, but that's OK. All you want is the tops of the stems for next Spring.
I cut mine back every Spring. The growing tops (about 8"-10") I root in a container in water and pot them up when rooted--about 3-4 per 6" pot. The long stems--I just cut way back and throw out.
The original plant will re-grow to make a lush, new plant. About every third year, I take the old plant out of the pot (after I have cut it back) and tear the whole root ball apart. There will be some old roots that are all fibrous. Get rid of them. The more actively growing roots get repotted in fresh potting mix (my fave. is MG) . Just watch how beautifully those roots will re-grow from being re-potted.

As a rule, I seldom cut anything back in the winter as I bring plants in as cutting things back encourages new growth. I'd rather that happened in the Summer when all the plants are in "growing mode". I would say do not prune anything back unless you have awesome growing conditions and light in the house.

I do not know much about Scented geraniums, but I can guess that they would be a magnate for Whitefly as they are hairy. That is one infestation I do not want to have to deal with.

Here is a picture of my OLD begonia--all cut back for the umpteenth time.