Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: My Zebra Swallowtail Thread, 1 by mellielong

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mellielong

In reply to: My Zebra Swallowtail Thread

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My Zebra Swallowtail Thread
mellielong wrote:
So I put cheesecloth under the lid to keep the little ones from escaping (Mom had to rescue one). However, one of my cats decided that it was nice and soft, and good for making a chrysalis. Unfortunately, when I moved him his booty came loose. He had a little something sticking out (which I found out later was his outer skin) so I used scotch tape to attach him until I got home from work. Last night I was about to go to bed which apparently is prime time for the cats to go into their chrysalis. I ran out and Mom and I watched. I didn't think to take pics until it was over with because I was so excited about seeing it for the first time. They split at the head, and then they wriggle free. It was so weird because we could see his stripes sliding down his body. When he was done, his old skin and head were stuck to the tape, but he was free. Since this guy isn't attached, I let him lay on the cheesecloth until he was done, then I cut that piece out and put him in his own container (he's so spoiled!). You can see his sling and you can still see that he's a caterpillar in there!