Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Brugs, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Brugs

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Brugs
Gitagal wrote:
Happy,

My Dr. Seuss in 2005 was so HUGE (like 10' high and across) that all I could do was take cuttings and hope to root them.. The original, hguge plant was dug up and discarded--sad, but I do not know anyone here that even knows what a brug is!
A couple of the cuttings made it and I planted it again in 2006. It grew big--as always. Came Fall, and I took cuttings again. gave the mama plant to a kid at my local Farmer's veggie stand. He was a Horticulture student in HS and very, very interested in plants. He came and got about 3 of my BIG Brugs so I would not have to throw them out.

Being in the family of these farmers, he had a Greenhouse and the plants all did very well. Every time I went to the Stand, I would ask him, :How are the Brugs doing?" and he would always say, "Fine". Then he said they still were in the greenhouse and I told him that all the rooted cuttings he took should be outside the whole Summer. I believe he followed my advice.

I KNOW he, probably, has a growing cutting of the Dr. The problem is, he no longer works at The Stand. Got a job in a huge Nursery as he needed a better paying job and insurance. I know I can send a message to him through the family members that still are at the stand and I KNOW he will give me a Dr. Seuss plant for the asking.

Anyway-getting long-winded here.....
To make a long story shorter, NONE of the Dr. cuttings made it through the winter for me. The started out OK, but then rotted out. Funny how different varieties root differently. So, I lost any chance of having it again. It is a most beautiful and fragrant Brug though.....:o(

Happy, if you have room in a dark garage to keep the whole plant--by all means do so. How tall did yours grow? Did you have it in an above ground pot or in a bed?

I really, really do not want to bother with Brugs again, but I cannot help it, as when they bloom, they are just too lovely to not have.

Here's one more shot of the blooms. In the hot weather, they really turn orangey. Can't you just smell them now?????