Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Pacific Northwest Gardening: picture of parking strip - any add in ideas?, 1 by Katye

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Katye

In reply to: picture of parking strip - any add in ideas?

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of picture of parking strip - any add in ideas?
Katye wrote:
Tilly - This is not the ideal time of year to do any serious pruning on one, but I needed to take a major portion of it down because it had jumped onto my apple trees & looking to swallow them whole!
If you want to grow yours as a standard (tree form), then you can renovate your wisteria with an extreme pruning. Select the main "trunk" you want & whack the rest away. But you will need to support the trunk: I recommend a 10' 6x6, sunk into the ground about 3'. Remeber, it's really a tree, and has a vining habit. No delicate framework will take the weight. Help it to wrap around & get to the top, once there it can spread out & form a canopy. They can be grown into a tree, too, but will take over the tree eventually.
Mine was like this shot below, earlier this year. However - it grew another 6' or so. Obviously likes its space, and other's, too! It is growing on the fence & up into an arbor-type structure.