Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Scale propagation of Bowiea volubilis., 1 by raydio

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright raydio

In reply to: Scale propagation of Bowiea volubilis.

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Scale propagation of Bowiea volubilis.
raydio wrote:
I'm not sure they actually split, but it does look like that.

Not sure I can explain this clearly, but here goes:

I think what actually happens is that an offset starts to form under several layers of scale. It eventually gets large enough to break or split the scales where it is, on one side.

The large outer scales have dried up and fallen by that time, and the main bulb is smaller due to not having as many scales. The offset has grown large enough to fill in the space that was once just the main bulb.

What I noticed was that near the top, between the scale layers, a new bloom vine grows out while the main bulb is whole and complete. It is attached to the same basal plate, under one or two scales. Sometimes the offset forms when there aren't any scales covering it, so they look more like regular offsets.

I don't think there is any difference in the way they form. The difference is that sometimes there are live scales covering them and sometimes not.

Here's a few pix from last year of the first offset mine made. First my plant in early March. I had removed the outer scale to use in the propagation attempt discussed in this thread: