Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: September must be my best month, 1 by sempervirens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sempervirens

In reply to: September must be my best month

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of September must be my best month
sempervirens wrote:
Hope, Sorry I took so long to answer. Yes, the clumps of blue leaves in the front of the 1st photo are the kale. It loves cool weather, in fact if you grow it to eat a good frost makes it taste sweeter. Mine are escapees from my tiny herb/vegetable garden. They seed nicely through the garden and are easy to remove or move. By the spring they look quite ratty but can be rejuvenated by cutting them all the way down along the thick stem to a few inches above ground level. Then, take a knife and cut an X on the flat top of the stem. In no time at all it regrows. It is very decorative in flower and seed also. I'll see if I can find spring photos of it in bloom. This photo is from last June, it's so heavy with seed it's leaning over.
As for lemon balm I still have volunteers I remove after planting it directly in the garden 15 years ago. At least it smells nice. The plant I regret planting is garlic chives, it is impossible to get those slippery stalks out of the lavender plants.

cattjovi,
Thank you for the compliment. I'd love to see Savannah. I looked up the Maxima and it is quite a spectacular plant. I'd love to try it. I'll D-mail you.