Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Bringing plants back in for winter- chore, fun? tips?, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Bringing plants back in for winter- chore, fun? tips?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bringing plants back in for winter- chore, fun?  tips?
Gitagal wrote:
Miata,

Just for you-went outside and took a picture of my Fiddle-Leaf Ficus. It has been outside my front door for the whole summer. Gets NO sun there--they sunburn if they do and the reddish burned areas on the leaves never loose that color.

Now--a bit about this plant. It is many years old. Can't remember when I first got it, but as I said--it has been cut back to stubs twice and re-grew all nice and fresh and tall in less that 2 years.

The leaves are very stiff and sort of leathery. They will drop only if the plant does not get enough moisture for extended periods of time. However, most of these Ficuses all have the bare stems at the bottom and the crown of leaves at the top half. Kind of attractive that way.

Since mine is so very pot-bound, it probably won't grow any taller. I would suggest re-potting it in fresh soil.
And--as I said, I am NOT giving the pot it is in away, but will put it in a black nursery pot if you want--OR--in a large plastic bag and then you can re-pot it into whatever you wish.
In my house, it will live out the winter in a pretty dark corner because of it's height. It I put it in the brighter corner by the window, it's top would sit amidst all the bulbs of my LR light there.

Happy,

There is more to HOW and WHERE you cut a Brug back. It all has to do with the "above or below the "Y". Now is the time to take cuttings and root them in water. I can help you out in all this. call me or D-mail me. I have learned a lot in the 5 or 6 years I have been messing with these.
As far as House Plants go--that is my biggest area of expertise. Tell me what plants you have and i will help you out.

OK! Miata, here's the F.L. Ficus.