Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Minerva splits., 1 by raydio

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright raydio

In reply to: Minerva splits.

Forum: Amaryllis and Hippeastrums

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Minerva splits.
raydio wrote:
This bulb arrived with only a couple tiny very short roots and was very late to set root. I think it was June before it started. I was afraid it wouldn't ever get going, but it finally did.

An example of why one is cautioned to avoid choosing a bulb devoid of roots!

EDITED: Wrong, Robert! I misremembered this and I guess you can see, *clearly* in the pic, that the bulb indeed had roots on arrival. Guess y'all though I was lying, LOL
I think what I remembered as "no roots", was that over time, the short roots that were there rotted away. So, after awhile, I was stuck with a bulb with no roots and was stubbornly refusing to grow any new ones.
As you can see in the pic, it was raring to go with scapes and leaves coming. Because the roots were pruned prior to shipping and whatever went on in storage, they were useless to support the foliage which eventually died away.
Anywho, I still stand by NOT choosing a rootless bulb, and avoid those with heavily pruned roots without and branching to them.

Don't have a pic of it as of today, but here's a bloom from late January. The green throat *glows* in the midst of the red and white.

R.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2007 5:39 PM