Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: How to get rid of pecan trees in flowerbeds, 1 by Deloresw

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Deloresw

Subject: How to get rid of pecan trees in flowerbeds

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How to get rid of pecan trees in flowerbeds
Deloresw wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love squirrels except I detest trying to get rid of the pesky pecan trees that are constantly growing in my flowerbeds, because the squirrels love to bury the pecans.

I would like to know if there is any way to prevent the squirrels from planting the pecans in my flower beds. This is a constant battle and causes me much more stress than any bug! The pecan trees LOVE the weed killer I spray on them. They turn brown and look dead, BUT they come back with a vengeance. Look at the problem I have now with a pecan tree taking over my Yaupon Holly tree. Both trees will have to be dug up, and the Yaupon Holly will have to be replanted. I have been fighting this particular pecan tree for the 14 years I have lived here. Several people have tried to kill it, but it keeps coming back. I guess because the root is so far down there is no way to get rid of it. I would welcome any suggestions!

Here is a link to website where another person here in Austin has a classic description with the same problem.

http://www.noaura.com/pecans.html