Photo by Melody

Coleus: Coleus Chatters thru Sept 9th!, 1 by UniQueTreasures

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright UniQueTreasures

In reply to: Coleus Chatters thru Sept 9th!

Forum: Coleus

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Coleus Chatters thru Sept 9th!
UniQueTreasures wrote:
I've never started coleus from seeds, so someone else will have to answer your questions about germinating, etc. I will say this. Do yourself a favor and DON'T LOSE THOSE BAGS! It's really nice that your seed packages have photos so you know what to look for. Keep them with the seedlings if you plan on remembering their names. Tape them to the pot if you have to.

I seem to remember reading something about seeds not being true to the parents, or something along those lines. I'm sure our coleus experts that reside on this thread will correct me if I'm wrong about that. These folks know their stuff! I would have thought that the plants grown from seed would be TRUE. I learn something new here on Dave's on a daily basis. Some things I retain and others I file on the "hard drive" of my feeble brain and hope to recall the info when I need it! Some times I even remember to bookmark things as favorites. HAHAHA

Has anyone heard from Dale? I think about him often and hope he's OK. He's in my prayers.

Sidney, I'm so glad that you are working close to home. I am a wimp when it comes to driving and need a nap to take a 20 minutes drive. I cannot imagine driving 400 miles to work! I hope this job gives you much satisfaction and happiness!

Alice, I am so sorry to hear about your plants and terrible weather. I'm glad you were able to get cuttings of them. If you need more in the Spring, just let us all know. I'm sure between all of us here, we can send you some color! :-) I'll be happy to do whatever is necessary for customs, etc. You'll have to educate me about it though.

Here's one of the exotic hibiscus blooms (not today's photo). It's called Rum Runner Hibiscus. It starts out really deep rose "tequila sunrise" in the early morning. By noon it's a dreamy orange, looking different each time it's viewed. It gets really light in the evening and then closes up with a bow after it's fine performance.

Janet