Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: Perennials not Annuals, 1 by Weezingreens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Weezingreens

In reply to: Perennials not Annuals

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Perennials not Annuals
Weezingreens wrote:
Well, Evelyn, I think that is the point that Golddog is trying to make. Many annuals are perennials "somewhere", but many of these plants can be used as annuals "elsewhere". I think the tricky part is determining which perennials can be treated as annuals, and of course, that requires that they bloom the first year, or there wouldn't be much use in growing them!

When you buy greenhouse plants, they've often been started months before we buy them, such as Pentargoniums (geraniums). For those of us in colder climes, they are a one trick pony, unless we cut slips or winter them indoors in a cool spot. For others, they are a perennial.

I have to say that I've never been clear on the definition of a "half-hardy" perennial or a "tender" perennial. Are any plants truly annuals or do they just have a short life span? Golddog has brought up a pretty good topic here. Hopefully we'll get some of our Garden Gurus involved here.