Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Salvia Black Knight, 1 by annette68

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright annette68

In reply to: Salvia Black Knight

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Salvia Black Knight
annette68 wrote:
Hi Leslie,

I always thought that my weather was similar to Texas maybe not. I live in the tropics, weather is great all year round so I garden all year round. Winter gets a little chilly for a few weeks in winter, frost free, coldest about 7 degrees celcius for a couple off nights. The temps at the moment is already getting really warm with 27 degrees today, sorry we are in degrees celcius here, dont know faren. Summer is humid so great seed germinating weather. The salvia algieriensis I sowed 2 months ago and it is already flowering.I sow all year round here outdoors in little trays and a little slower to germinate in winter but they do germinate. Does this sound like anywhere in the U.S. I guess there are places that are coastal, I am on the coast of Queensland.

I do believe that Salvia Black Knight originated here in Oz or it may have been New Zealand, even if it sets seeds there is no guarantee that it will come true being a hybrid to start with.

I am experimenting at the moment with a few seeds that a few hybrids threw to see what results happen.

The exciting one at the moment is the Van Houteii, it rarely sets seeds and when it does the plants from the seeds throw different colours, I have 8 plants started from seed and 3 are in bud, so soon I will know what this little experiments results are.

Annette

Salvia Van Houteii (It is so gorgeous and again it flowers all year round here)